Wednesday 28 March 2012

Inspiring people

After a brief consideration of the topic I came up with a rather long list of people who have, at least to some extent, influenced me. However, due to the fact that I'm supposed to write a blog entry, not an entire book, I decided to limit my scope to one person, with a small mention of several other people.

So I decided to focus mainly on this lady:



Lauren Faust's photo. Source: Wikipedia.


Lauren Faust. The person behind several extremely successful animated shows and movies. What I find most fascinating about her is the fact that she's an artistic powerhouse: she's an artist, animator and a writer. She worked as a supervising producer, story supervisor and executive on several shows. Furthermore, back in 1994 she even worked as a voice actor in "Home, Honey, I'm High."

The first big movie she worked on (as an animator) was Iron Giant, released in 1999. Although the movie turned out to be a box office bomb, it received universal critical acclaim. Furthermore, in the early 2000s, the movie managed to attract a cult following among adult audience, largely because of the fact that it touches the subject of Cold War. The ability to attract adult audiences would be characteristic for all other projects involving Faust.
The Iron Giant" poster. Notice the 50s stylization.


She has also worked as a storyboard artist, writer, director and supervising director on Th Powerpuff Girls. Just like the Iron Giant, this show also managed to get the attention of adult audiences. The exact same thing can be said about Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. It's worth mentioning that both of these shows were created by her husband, Craig McCracken.

Even though Faust put a considerable amount of effort into these shows, her true magnum opus is My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. (also known as MLP: FiM) She created the show almost from scratch, using not only her artistic skills, but also drawing from her own childhood memories. What is most amazing is the fact that Faust managed to change a mediocre (or sometimes terrible) show into something more. Although seemingly colorful and childish at first glance, the show is actually much deeper and not nearly as infantile as the previous generations of My Little Pony shows. It even has a lot of character developement; for instance, in some episodes the main characters experience a mental breakdown, which sometimes reveals their deeply hidden fears. And this is not something you wouldn't expect from this kind of show. All thanks to Faust who decided to do something new with the show and break the cliches surrounding the franchise.

Traditionally for Faust, the show has managed to create a cult following among adult audiences. Adult fans of FiM call themselves "bronies" and are a quite large Internet subculture. Proof? For example, Equestria Daily, the most popular site related to the show, is about to hit 150.000.000 pageviews, and one can find literally thousands of fan-made movies and music on YouTube, such as this remix of the songs from the show. Not to even mention countless, often high-quality, drawings.

Finally, Faust is a social liberal which I, due to my world view, welcome with open arms.

So, to sum up (at least this part of the text). Why do I admire Faust? Skill, passion, and the fact that she's an artistic jack-of-all-trades. She has her heart in the right place and can make shows which are entertaining for both kids and adults.

Now, for the forementioned "small mention"...

I find Carl Sagan to be a truly fascinating person. He managed to popularize science, being able to explain even the most complex concepts in layman's terms. Furthermore, he had a sense of mission: he felt that what he was doing was not only his job, but also a way of changing the world for the better.



The next person (out of many) on my "awesome" list is the recently-late Christopher Hitchens. I could elaborate for a long time explaining the reasons why, but perhaps Richard Dawkins expressed them in the best manner possible:
"He's a writer and an orator with a matchless style, commanding a vocabulary and a range of literary and historical allusions bigger than anybody I know. And I live in Oxford. (...) He's a reader, whose breadth of reading is simultaneously so deep and comprehensive so as to deserve the slightly stuffy word: learned. Except that Christopher is the least stuffy person you will ever meet."

Finally, I left what I like the most for the end. In this case, a bit of a more personal touch: I adore some artists who create reptile-related works and publish it on the Internet, such as HidesHisFace  I'm always astonished by how much self-taught artists can achieve. Plus, in my opinion, reptiles are characterized by extremely high levels of awesomeness.

1 comment:

  1. I'm really surprised about your account of the My Little Pony show! I never thought you were serious about the whole pony thing :)

    ReplyDelete